Could pain or other symptoms in your teeth and gums mean that you might need root canals? The dentists at 1st Choice Dental Care in Kennesaw & Woodstock, GA, share a few signs and symptoms that may occur if you need a root canal.
How can I tell I need a root canal?
If you need a root canal, you may notice one or more of these symptoms:
- Persistent Tooth Pain: That pain in your tooth may be due to a cavity or could be a sign that your pulp is inflamed or infected. Although the enamel and dentin layers of your tooth are hard, the center of your tooth is filled with a soft collection of nerves, blood vessels, and connective tissue. An infection or inflammation of the pulp can be very painful, although that's not always the case. Even mild persistent pain warrants a visit to our Kennesaw & Woodstock offices.
- Avoidance of Certain Foods and Beverages: Have you stopped drinking hot coffee, or realized that you prefer water lukewarm instead of cold? If you need a root canal, your teeth can become very sensitive. Eating or drinking cold, hot or sugary foods and beverages can cause jolts of pain that may linger for 30 minutes or longer.
- Red Gums: Swelling and redness may develop in your gum if you need a root canal. Because inflamed, red gums can also be a sign of gum disease, it's important to schedule an appointment if you notice these symptoms.
- Discoloration: Is your painful tooth darker than your other teeth? A change in color is a warning sign.
- Symptoms of an Abscess: A dental abscess, a painful bacterial infection in your tooth pulp, is usually very difficult to ignore. If you have an abscess, you may feel sick and have a fever. A quick glance in the mirror may reveal swollen gums, a small bump on your gum or swelling in your jaw. Abscesses are often very painful. In fact, sleeping may be impossible if you have an abscess. In addition to a root canal, you'll also need to begin taking antibiotics to prevent the spread of the infection.
Root canals can relieve your pain. If you have any of these symptoms, schedule an appointment with the dentists at 1st Choice Dental Care by calling (678) 293-8773 for the Kennesaw & Woodstock, GA offices.