If you go to the dentist, or if you’ve ever been in Kindergarten, you know that flossing is important. You know that the routine helps prevent gum disease. You know that gum disease makes your teeth fall out. And we know that nobody wants the flossing lecture.
But… we still have a problem! Because more than half of adults in the U.S. have some stage of gum disease. So, since this September is National Gum Care month, we decided to do something a little different. Here’s our top five tips for making flossing fun for kids and adults.
- Find fancy floss. Yeah, we know it sounds silly, but if you can make your flossing experience more enjoyable with a great flavor of silky feeling string, we are all for it.
- Make it a family event. Get your family together to brush and floss together. Race each other, try to say tongue twisters, or play some funky music!
- Entertain yourself. We found a great kids podcast that lasts 2 minutes (the recommended brushing time.) But you could also find a song, a comedy or YouTube videos to enjoy only during the two times a day you choose to brush and floss.
- Water floss. If you just cannot deal with flossing, because yes, it is uncomfortable, have you heard of water flossing? It is a different option for flushing the buildup between your teeth. It is not cheap, but much less expensive than a new tooth!
- Reward yourself. Keep track and find a reward that will motivate you and your family to keep the habit going. Seven days in a row? Let’s go out for ice cream! And then brush and floss afterwards, of course.
Make Flossing Fun for Kids and Family at 1st Choice Dental
Another important step to preventing gum disease is visiting your dentist regularly. At 1st Choice Dental of Kennesaw and Woodstock, we want you to enjoy your visit. Make your appointment on our website today!
Resource: Learn How to Floss Your Teeth